Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Monday, March 16, 2015

Healthy Shamrock Shake (Smoothie)


I really think I made a big huge mistake for the timing of my Sugar Crush Challenge. I say this because every time I walk into a store, I see St. Paddy's treats and Easter candy all around me!

Ugh, this hasn't been easy!

My sweet tooth is telling me to indulge. Will Power is saying "don't do it!" It's like the battle between the little angel and devil that sit on your shoulders in the cartoons. Lucky for me, my willpower is much stronger than my sweet tooth.

And since I've been seeing homemade Shamrock Shakes all over the web these last few weeks, I decided to make a healthier version, one that doesn't have as many calories, fat, or sugar as the original McDonalds Shamrock Shake.

Sprigs of fresh mint

My version is still green, although a darker green, and has that refreshing, delicious minty flavoring that many of us look forward to at this time of year.


Plus, you can make it year round and it will satisfy your Shamrock Shake cravings. It's a win-win!

Healthy Shamrock Shake
------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients

8 ounces coconut milk, unsweetened

1 frozen banana, sliced

3 to 4 sprigs of fresh mint

2 Tablespoons agave nectar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 Tablespoons chia seeds

------------------------------------------------------
Directions

Add milk, banana, and mint leaves into a blender. Puree until all ingredients are liquefied. Add in remaining ingredients and pour into a tall glass. Enjoy!

Can top with whipped cream or garnish with a mint leaf.

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Totally Terrific Tuesday #24, Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party #139, Savoring Saturdays, Munching Mondays #83