Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Buttermilk Biscuits


I've been searching for a buttermilk biscuit recipe to make and haven't really found any that I like.

For starters, they add sugar to the recipe. Not good for someone trying to cut their sugar intake. And I don't ever remember eating a sweetened buttermilk biscuit.

Then I tried a recipe that I saw on Pinterest for buttermilk biscuits. I was supposed to "swoon" over these tall flaky biscuits with buttery layers.

Not.

It turned out to be more work than needed for flaky buttermilk biscuits because you were supposed to fold over layers, roll out, fold, roll out, fold, roll out, and cut. Not to mention, they were nothing near tall and flaky, more like short and flat.

Very disappointing and I did not "swoon" over them, as promised.

I was about to give up my quest for a flaky buttermilk biscuit before I realized I had a recipe for buttermilk biscuits in...wait for it...of all things, a cookbook. A real life paper and cover cookbook!


Needless to say, this cookbook has been in my family since I was a teenager, when I bought it for my mom. This cookbook has been with me since I moved out of my mom & dad's home. Let's just say, a long time.


The cookbook, "The Encyclopedia of Creative Cooking", has a recipe for anything and everything food. One of the reasons I bought it for my mom. It reminds me of Pinterest, if Pinterest were a book.

As you can see, this is a well loved cookbook of mine.


I can't tell you how long it's been since I've actually cracked open a cookbook with Pinterest and the Internet. So when I opened the book and looked up biscuits, I was happy to see a recipe.


The original recipe calls for Crisco and whole milk. Since I don't cook with Crisco, I substituted butter and I used buttermilk for the whole milk because I wanted my buttermilk biscuits.

No folding over layers and rolling out over and over here. Nope, just your old fashioned mix up ingredients, knead a few times by hand, lightly roll to a flat dough, cut and bake.

To my surprise, beautiful flaky buttermilk biscuits!


I might have even "swooned" over them! Yes, I think I did swoon!


Buttermilk Biscuits

Recipe by Julie Murphy @ Sweet and Spicy Monkey
Light and fluffy buttermilk biscuits with a soft & flaky inside.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 to 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 8 biscuits
Ingredients
  • 2 cups All-purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup (5 Tablespoons and 1/3 Tablespoon) unsalted butter, chilled
  • 1 and 1/4 cups buttermilk
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
  2. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. Cut butter into small pieces. Set aside.
  4. Place dough attachment on stand mixer.
  5. In a large mixing bowl, add dry ingredients. Mix together with a fork, about 3 times.
  6. Mix butter throughout flour mixture, about 1 minute.
  7. Pour buttermilk into flour mixture and knead until dough is soft and slightly sticky. If dough is too dry, add in buttermilk, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until dough becomes more pliable to work with. If dough is too sticky, don't worry because as we roll out dough on floured surface, it will take some of that flour into the dough, making it soft and easier to work with.
  8. Remove dough from bowl and place on a clean, dry, flat, lightly floured surface.
  9. Knead dough gently 10 to 12 times with your hands.
  10. Gently roll dough until its about 1/2" to 3/4" thick.
  11. Using a lightly floured biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and place onto prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until all dough is used.
  12. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until biscuits are a light, golden brown on top.
  13. Serve immediately with butter.

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.